Sunday, September 19, 2010

Derby Girl

Last night my husband surprised me with tickets to a Roller Derby for my birthday.  Whoot!  I have officially decided that I am changing professions to become a Derby Girl.  In preparation, I bought a T-Shirt (see above). I think it makes me look like quite the fan, at any rate.  Not to mention cute, in a smokin' hot, roller derby girl kind of way.

Here are the top 10 reasons I am itching to be a Derby Girl.  Please add to this list, if you find yourself inspired to take on a little "derby girl attitude" yourself:

1.  Derby girls come in many shapes and sizes, and they all can kick your butt.
2.  Derby girls get to wear spankies, fishnet stockings, and pink roller skates, and still look cool.
3.  Derby girls get to make up alter-ego names for themselves.  My particular favorites from last night include, "Gator Dunn" and "Fonda Payne."
4.  Derby girls get to be very un-lady-like, and totally sexy at the same time.
5.  Derby girls get to do things like "jam," "brawl," and "hip-check."
6.  Derby girls are real athletes, but they don't take themselves too seriously.
7.  Derby girls can use cliches like, "cruisin' for a bruisin,'" or "achin' for a breakin," and they take on a whole new, empowered kind of meaning.
8.  Derby girls get to play as hard as they can!
9.  Derby girls get to mean-mug each other on the track, and babysit each others' kids on the sidelines.
10. Derby girls have a ton of fun while breaking all the molds.

I am taking the kids to roller skate tonight, and they better look out!  Mom is on the loose... Hey maybe there's an alter-ego name in there somewhere?

4 comments:

Grace said...

Dude, I am totally afraid of both Derby Girls AND roller skating. :P

Anonymous said...

I spent a year as a derby girl and I can tell you it is totally fun! It was a tad too much work for me while working and being in school but I still loved it!

Unknown said...

My name would be "Zak Attak", and I've always loved to rollerskate.
I think derby is an awesome force of empowerment and silliness all rolled into one.
Montreal has the added element of being happily bilingual, with no language issues getting in the way.

Kim said...

If I could find a great derby name, I might think to join! I've a girlfriend "Fawn Stalking" and another "Amber Waves of Pain." The bouts are so much fun. Enjoy!